OPA Monthly Meeting Minutes
September 14, 2009 Time: 6:30 to 8:30PM
Location: Joslyn Park Auditorium
BOARD MEMBERS IN ATTENDANCE:
NOTICED BOARD MEMBER ABSENCES:
6:30 to 8:30 PM REGULAR MONTHLY MEETING
Introduction of Bonnie Davis, Local Eldercare Advisor, who will present available free services
for Eldercare and how to access the services. Bonnie explained the levels of care available to
seniors. Her free service helps families connect with senior communities and agencies that help families
find support for family members in need of care. Her contact information: 866-614-6709
1. Introduction to OPA: Co-President Ted Winterer
2. Review and approval of August Meeting Minutes.
Motion: Minutes have not yet been posted to website. Defer vote for approval of minutes until October
Vote: Passed unanimously
Action: Vote on August minutes at October meeting
3. Report from Nominating Committee of Board of Directors Election this fall.
Action: Bob Taylor will write text of email blast to be sent to membership for additional board
nominations. Dennis and/or Jan will send blast after Beach Cleanup.
Action: Board nominees will be contacted by Bob Taylor, Nomination Committee Chair, to submit short
resume and statement by October 5.
4. Plans for Beach Clean Up with Heal the Bay, September 19, Saturday. Lori Nafshun reported in
Dana’s absence. Urth Café is sponsoring refreshments. Continuing to collect raffle prizes. Cleanup will
be joint venture with SMASH and John Muir schools participating.
Action: Bob Taylor will send Lori list of donations
Action: Dana will send out email with list of board members scheduled to help on Beach Cleanup Day
Action: Lori will send an email blast about beach clean up to membership, which will include raffle prizes
5. Discuss how OPA might acknowledge the community’s recent loss of Laurel Roennau. Long-time
Ocean Park community activist. Board brainstormed ideas for honoring her lifetime of commitment to
the Ocean Park/Santa Monica community.
Action: Ted will create email blast to membership to about Laurel and for additional ideas on how to
Action: Lori will contact city about Memorial Program and report at October meeting.
6. Discuss date and arrangements for annual budget meeting with city manager, Lamont Ewell in
November. Lori Nafshun shared that the meeting is planned for November 9 and is waiting for
confirmation from Lamont’s office. Suggestion was made to have Ocean Park Blvd Green Streets
Project update at the meeting. Plan is to serve dinner as well.
7. Review and approve letter to SMMUSD requesting action on old Washington West School site at 4th
and Ashland. Ted read proposed letter.
Motion: Approve letter to be sent to City Council
Vote: Passed unanimously
Action: Ted will send letter to City Council
8. Discuss how to involve community in Orange County Museum of Art upcoming Diebenkorn exhibit by
collecting photographs from Ocean Park from 1960’s – 1988. Dave Auch will follow up with person who
contacted OPA re: photos and will report back to board via email prior to next meeting.
Meeting Adjourned: 8:10 PM
Next Meeting: October 12, 2009, 6:30 – 8:30 PM, Joslyn Park Auditorium