OPA Monthly Meeting Minutes July 13, 2009 Time: 6:30 to 8:30 PM
Joslyn Park Auditorium
BOARD MEMBERS IN ATENDANCE:
NOTICED BOARD MEMBER ABSENCE:
6:30 to 8:30 PM REGULAR MONTHLY MEETING
1. Introduction to OPA
2. Introduction of Stephen Kozowyk, Project Coordinator of the Energy Coalition, who
spoke on Free Home Energy Efficiency Tune-ups sponsored by the Community Energy
Partnership (CEP). The partnership is between seven Southern California cities, SCE,
the Gas Co., and CEP. Stephen discussed rebates for new appliances, recycling old
appliances, and various tax credits. Deadline for free energy tune-ups is August 31,
2009 for qualifying residents. For more information go to:
www.communityenergypartnership.org or call (949)701-4646.
3. City of Santa Monica Coordinator, Danny Price, was unable to make the meeting as
scheduled and his colleague Susan McCrarry presented the information for the Garden
Registry Program. The program is in the early stages of development. The goal of the
program is to pair willing gardeners with owners willing to donate garden space
throughout the city. The group presented a 2 page list of possible gardens for the
project. The group will send updates as the project gets underway.
4. Review and approval of June Meeting Minutes.
· Motion: Approve meeting minutes
· Action: Approved unanimously
5. Report on a very successful July 4th Parade and follow up needed by OPA:
· ACTION: Dana Ehrlich is going to arrange follow up meetings with the SMPD
and BBB to review procedures.
· ACTION: Email blast to membership to solicit funds to reimburse OPA for parade
· ACTION: Lori Nafshun will send out thank you notes
o ACTION: Lori needs people to send names of those who should receive a
6. Report on participation in LUCE Workshop on Community Priorities: Meeting
attendees shared impressions from the workshop. Many felt there was little new
information presented. Residents at the workshop voiced concerns that new buildings
are not in line with what residents want. No additional workshops have been scheduled.
7. Feedback from membership on OPA web site with suggestions for possible additions
or edits. Meeting attendees shared opinions and suggestions about the OPA website.
Dennis Allard, OPA website manager, compiled the suggestions:
Web site changes desired, in order of priority:
1. Prove a method for non-experts to add/edit/delete content
2. Make site more graphically pleasing to the eye
3. Clean up content - remove unused pages, add an "About" page
4a. Find volunteer (or low paid intern?) to maintain the Calendar
4b. Modify Calendar to automatically accept data from SM City Calendar
5. Add a survey/poll feature that presents questions to visitors
ACTION: Dennis will contact Jay to get a bid from him for these
Meeting Adjourned at 8:20PM
Next Meeting: August 10, 2009 at Joslyn Park Auditorium, 6:30 – 8:30 PM