Login
OPA Monthly Meeting Minutes March 9, 2009 Time: 6:30 to 8:30 PM

Joslyn Park Auditorium

BOARD MEMBERS IN ATENDANCE:

Allard
Auch
Bohannan
Ehrlich
Hubbell
Jarow
Lewis
Ludwinski
Marlow
Nafshun
Taylor

NOTICED BOARD MEMBER ABSENCE: Ted Winterer

6:30 to 8:30 PM REGULAR MONTHLY MEETING

1. Introduction to OPA – Mary Marlow

2. New Items for Board Attention:
· Borderline- USPS mailboxes in neighborhood have been removed
· Fireplace smoke concerns in condos near Joslyn Park
· 4th Street Traffic Circle Changes to improve safety

3. Brief Announcements and Information Items:
· Borderline general meeting re: Longfellow street improvement plan, Wednesday,
March 11, 2009 at 7:00PM
· Bicknell Street greening has begun
· Tide/Big Blue Bus (BBB) Meetings; Several dates/times offered to discuss
extending Tide Shuttle for 6 months and obtaining opinions from those along the
route. OPA will invite BBB to next OPA monthly meeting.
· Santa Monica Commissions – openings on Planning, Senior, Airport, and Pier
Restoration Commissions

4. Review and Approval of February Meeting Minutes
Motion: Approve February Meeting Minutes
· Passed unanimously

5. Review of Board and Executive Committee Decisions Taken Since Last Meeting –
a. Storage Space: MOTION: Approve rental space at 2510 Main Street for
$50/mo. VOTE: Passed unanimously ACTION: OPA board members will
store all OPA items as needed
b. Donation to PONY League: MOTION: Approve donation of $300 to Pony
League for scholarships and equipment VOTE: Passed unanimously
ACTION: Jeff Jarow will forward bill to Dana
OPA ADMINISTRATION

6. Discussion and action on a proposed April 13 community meeting with Big Blue Bus
on the Tide Shuttle Service Improvements.
· Jeff Jarow attended 1st meeting: Many questions about whether to continue
shuttle service and how to improve ridership on shuttles. Main Street
Merchants want to keep the Tide Shuttle, beach hotels need to support it and
most tourists go to Promenade and Pier by walking, need for North/South
routes, need to distinguish it more clearly from other buses, electronic signs
at stops. OPA sent a letter to BBB with suggestions for improved hours,
destinations, and support local merchants.
· Table action until after the next BBB meeting

7. Discussion and action on a 4th of July Parade with or without city sponsorship
Tabled until next monthly meeting

8. Discussion of obtaining liability coverage for OPA Board:
· Dave Auch reported on costs, etc. Most of the data has been gathered to
complete the application. Need to develop policy for Anti-discrimination
and harassment. Quote will be available in approx. 2 ½ weeks.
ACTIONS: Dave will check what the other Neighborhood Organizations
are doing about liability coverage. Member Deena will have her husband
review the harassment policy.

9. Review of OPA Committees and Chairs: Each committee chair gave a brief
description committee and its purpose

10. OPA Administration: Committee and Task Force Reports
· Events (Chair: Nafshun / Members: Hubbell, Bohannon, Marlow, Jarow,
Lewis, Ehrlich)
· Membership (Chair: Ludwinski / Secretary: Bohannon)
i. Quarterly Membership Report (April, July, October and January
meetings)
· Communications (Lewis)
· Community Outreach (Jarow)
· Treasurers Report (Ehrlich)
i. Quarterly Treasurers Report (April, July, October and January
meetings)
· Website (Chair: Allard)

11. Livability of Ocean Park: Committee Reports
· Ocean Park Boulevard (Chair: Taylor / Members: Jarow, Auch, Winterer):
Dave gave report of 3/4/09 Planning Committee meeting presentation.
Alternative A is preferred. Positive feedback from commissioners. Topics
included pedestrian lights versus streetlights, art projects ($50,000), parking,
and trees. Prop V - $1 ml above the original 4.5 ml. Bob Taylor announced
that there would be a meeting with police and fire department.
· Main Street (Chair: Jarow / Members: Taylor, Ehrlich)
· Traffic and Parking (Chair: none / Members: Hubbell, Ludwinski, Taylor)
· Disaster Preparedness (Chair: Ludwinski / Members: Bohannon)
· General Plan (Chair: Marlow / Members: Samuel, Winterer
MEETING CLOSE MOTION: Extent meeting to 8:35PM VOTE: Passed unanimously

Meeting adjourned at 8:35PM

Next Meetings:
· Monday, April 13, 2009, 6:30PM
· Monday, May 11, 2009, 6:30PM
Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software