Minutes OPA Monthly Meeting February 8, 2009 Time: 3:30 to 5:45 PM
Joslyn Park Auditorium
BOARD MEMBERS IN ATTENDANCE:
3:30 to 4:10 PM SPECIAL COMMUNITY UPDATE ON PROPOSED WALGREEN’S ON LINCOLN BLVD
Lori Harding, of Tatum Real Estate, presented plans for a proposed redevelopment of 1907-1929 Lincoln Blvd., the former site of Nationwide Baby Shops
on the east side of Lincoln and south of Pico Blvd. On the site is a proposed Walgreen Drugs including parking. The plans are being submitted to the city
for Development Review. Ms. Harding fielded questions and took suggestions about the plans from meeting attendees. The OPA board requested
notification of dates for ARB and Planning Commission presentations. Another presentation is scheduled for Friends of Sunset Park on Thursday, 2/12/09
at 7 PM at Mount Olive Church.
4:10 to 5:05 PM SPECIAL COMMUNITY UPDATE ON PLANNED CHANGES TO TIDE SHUTTLE SERVICE
Stephanie Negriff and Dan Dawson of Big Blue Bus, presented planned changes to the Tide Shuttle Service, which include new service to the Annenberg
Beach House and route changes on Main Street and Barnard Way. Existing Tide Shuttle services will remain through 2/24/09. The new proposed Beach
Ride Shuttle route will replace the Tide Ride Route at that time. The proposed Beach Ride will have two buses that run every hour on Friday, Saturday and
Sunday only. Mr. Dawson explained that they would be using the hybrid buses, which studies have shown to be the cleanest, quietest, buses.
Gary Gordon from the Main Street Merchants spoke in support of keeping a Tide Shuttle Route or revising the Beach Shuttle route to include stops on Main
Street and other business districts in the city. He voiced concerns that the change to the Tide Route will have a negative impact on the economy of local
5:05 to 6:00 PM REGULAR MONTHLY MEETING
1. Introduction to OPA- President Marlow gave a brief introduction about OPA to the meeting attendees
2. New Items for Board Attention
· Motion: to add an emergency agenda item – Tide Shuttle discussion and action item Vote: Y-9 N-1 Motion passed, agenda item was
· Motion: Send letter to council to reject proposed Beach Shuttle Route and to reinstate some portion of the Tide Shuttle to support Main
Street from Marine north to Pico. Vote: Y-9 N-1 Motion passed ACTION: Lori Nafshun will draft a letter to council and distribute to the
OPA board for approval.
3. Brief Announcements and Information Items
· 2/10/09 City Council Meeting: Discussion of Expo Line, inclusion of bike lanes on route
· 2/17/09 Expo Line Meeting; LUCE update 7-9 PM, Public Input, 2 routes proposed, on Colorado or Olympic at SM Civic Center
· 2/18/09 Expo Line Meeting; SAMOHI, Plans presented
4. Review and Approval of January Meeting Minutes
Motion: Approve January Meeting Minutes
5. Review of Board and Executive Committee Decisions Taken Since Last Meeting: none
6. Discussion and action on a draft letter to City Council recommending appointment to vacant council seat be based on results of November election.
· Motion: Table item
· Vote: Y-3, N- 6, A-1
· ACTION: continue discussion of item
· Motion: Support sending letter as presented to City Council
· Vote: Y- 11, N-0, A-1
· ACTION: Send letter to City Council
7. Discussion and action on renting storage space for OPA canopies, parade supplies, T-shirts, etc.
· Motion: Table item until March meeting so that storage options can be researched
· Vote: Y-12, N-0, A-0
· ACTION: Jeff Jarow will research First Federal storage
8. Discussion and action on a draft budget letter from OPA to City Manager and Council.
· Motion: Approve letter with amendment to request Big Blue Bus to add route schedules to each stop and send to City Council
· Vote: Y- 12, N-0, A- 0
· ACTION: Send letter with amendment
9. Discussion of obtaining liability coverage for OPA Board.
Dave Auch has been gathering required information to complete forms for obtaining liability coverage.
ACTION: Jan Ludwinski will provide membership information by March meeting
10. Discussion of changing meeting day of week and time
· Motion: To meet the second Monday of the month at Joslyn Park from 6:30- 8:30 PM
· Vote: Y-12, N-0, A-0
· ACTION: Lori Nafshun will check availability of Joslyn Park Auditorium for new meeting day/time
11. OPA Administration: Committee and Task Force Reports
· Events (Chair: Nafshun / Members: Hubbell, Bohannon, Marlow, Jarow, Lewis, Ehrlich): no report
· Membership (Chair: Ludwinski / Secretary: Bohannon)
i. Quarterly Membership Report (April, July, October and January meetings)
ii. Updated membership report will be presented at March meeting
ACTION: Jan Ludwinski will send an email subscription reminder blast to membership
· Communications (Lewis): Newsletter is completed and will go out to all residents of Ocean Park
· Community Outreach (Jarow): No report
· Treasurers Report (Ehrlich)
i. Quarterly Treasurers Report (April, July, October and January meetings)
· Website (Chair: Allard): No report
12. Livability of Ocean Park: Committee Reports
· Ocean Park Boulevard (Chair: Taylor / Members: Jarow, Auch, Winterer): Ocean Park Blvd Committee presentation to City Council was
very well received. Updates for next steps to follow.
· Main Street (Chair: Jarow / Members: Taylor, Ehrlich): no report
· Traffic and Parking (Chair: none / Members: Hubbell, Ludwinski, Taylor): no report
· Disaster Preparedness (Chair: Ludwinski / Members: Bohannon): no report
· General Plan (Chair: Marlow / Members: Samuel, Winterer): no report
MEETING CLOSE Motion: extend meeting to 6:00 PM, Vote: Y-12, N-0, A-0 Motion passed unanimously Meeting adjourned at 6:05
· To Be Determined