Login
Minutes OPA Monthly Meeting January 11, 2009 Time: 4:00 to 5:45 PM

Joslyn Park Auditorium

NOTICED BOARD MEMBER ABSENCES:

BOARD MEMBERS IN ATTENDANCE:
Allard
Auch
Bohannan
Hubbell
Jarow
Lewis
Ludwinski
Marlow
Nafshun
Taylor
Winterer

NOTICED BOARD MEMBER ABSENCES:
Ehrlich

4:00 to 4:15 PM SPECIAL COMMUNITY UPDATE ON PROP BB FUNDS
Julia Eiko Hawkinson, Deputy Parsons Program Manager and Virginia Hyatt, Point Person for Measure BB SMMUSD
presented an overview of Phase I of the Facilities Master Plan for Prop BB projects. The slide presentation showed where
improvement funds will be spent, including specific information regarding SMASH, John Muir, Olympic High School, John
Adams Middle School, Edison Language Academy, Lincoln Middle School, Santa Monica High School and Malibu
facilities improvement plans.
Ted Bardacke introduced himself as a member of the Citizens Oversight Committee for Prop BB funds. There are 16
members that meet monthly. The meeting schedules can be found on the district website.
The focus of the BB funds is for “Safety and Security Projects”. The presenters commented, “The designers will design to
the budget that has been approved”. Meeting attendees expressed concerns regarding the lack of solar power and other
sustainability features in the approved designs for many of the projects. John Muir and SMASH schools will be fitted with
new self closing entrance gates, video cameras and possibly a buzzer system for entrance to the site. The Board
members expressed an interest in learning more about the process for final decisions regarding these issues. The
presenters recommended attending the monthly meetings at the SMMUSD district offices. Please refer to the district
website for more information. http://www.smmusd.org/measureBB/index.html

5:15 to 5:45 PM REGULAR MONTHLY MEETING
1. Introduction to OPA: Mary Marlow - OPA President, Ted Winterer - Vice-President, Dana Ehrlich – Treasurer, Mary
Hubbell – Secretary, Lori Nafshun – Vice-President of Events, Susan Lewis – Vice-President of Communications,
Jan Ludwinski – Membership Chair, Jeff Jarow – Community Outreach

2. New Items for Board Attention:
• Meet to discuss 4th of July parade planning and budget
• Further discussion of BB Projects with a follow-up letter to SMMUSD

3. Brief Announcements and Information Items:
• Herb Katz passed away; OPA will discuss making a charitable donation in his name, City Council will
determine how to fill his vacancy on the Council
• Ocean Park Branch Public Library will be closed for remodeling beginning in March and will reopen in May,
2009
• Ocean Park Blvd. Committee will meet on January 21, 2009 to plan for City Council meeting
• Ocean Park Blvd. Project will go before the City Council on January 27, 2009
• Santa Monica Homeless Count volunteers needed on January 27, 2009 from 8:00 PM – 2:00 AM

4. Review and Approval of December Meeting Minutes
• Motion: Approve minutes; passed unanimously

5. Review of Board and Executive Committee Decisions Taken Since Last Meeting: none taken
LIVABILITY of OCEAN PARK

6. Livability of Ocean Park: Committee Reports
• Ocean Park Boulevard (Chair: Taylor / Members: Jarow, Auch, Winterer): Meeting at Bob Taylor’s home
on January 21, 2009 at 6:45 PM to discuss focus points for presenting to City Council on January 29,
2009. ACTION: Send Email blast on January 24, 2009 to OPA membership about City Council meeting
Ocean Park Blvd. Improvement Project agenda item.
• Main Street (Chair: Jarow / Members: Taylor, Ehrlich): Jeff shared Main Street Merchant concerns about
recent Ocean Park street/sidewalk construction issues, Library closure concerns, ending of Tide Shuttle
service, and desire for a Trolley service on Main Street.
• Traffic and Parking (Chair: none / Members: Hubbell, Ludwinski, Taylor): no report
• Disaster Preparedness (Chair: Ludwinski/ Members: Bohannon): Jan suggested engaging the Fire
Department and Red Cross at our OPA events.
• General Plan (Chair: Marlow / Members: Samuel, Winterer): Mary Marlow will keep OPA informed of
upcoming meetings
OPA ADMINISTRATION

7. Discussion and action on a budget letter from OPA to City Manager and Council using notes from November
meeting with Lamont Ewell.
• MOTION: OPA send a budget priorities letter to the City Council and the City Manager, Passed:
Unanimously ACTION: Mary Marlow, Lori, Jan and Bob will draft a budget priorities letter from OPA to the
City Council and the City Manager

8. Discussion of obtaining liability coverage for OPA Board. ACTION: Dave Auch to report on costs, etc. at February

meeting. Will obtain additional information from Mary H. OPA secretary, as needed.
9. Discussion of OPA City Mailing due January 30 to city. ACTION: Bob Taylor will ask Susan Lewis about revising
current newsletter and adding any event dates in time for City mailing.

10. Discussion of changing meeting day of week and time: tabled until February 8 meeting

11. Review of OPA committees and chairs: tabled until February 8 meeting

12. OPA Administration: Committee and Task Force Reports
• Events (Chair: Nafshun / Members: Hubbell, Bohannon, Marlow, Jarow, Lewis, Ehrlich): no report
• Membership (Chair: Ludwinski / Secretary: Bohannon)
i. Quarterly Membership Report (April, July, October and January meetings): ACTION: Jan
Ludwinski will present updated lists and report at February 8 meeting.
• Communications (Lewis): no report
• Community Outreach (Jarow): no report
• Treasurers Report (Ehrlich)
i. Quarterly Treasurers Report (April, July, October and January meetings)
ACTION: Dana Ehrlich will present report at February 8 meeting
• Website (Chair: Allard): no report

MEETING CLOSE Meeting adjourned 6:00 PM

Next Meeting: Sunday, February 8, 2009, 4:00 PM at Joslyn Park Auditorium
Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software