Login
Minutes for Joslyn Park Auditorium
June 8, 2008 Time: 3:00 to 5:45 PM

ALL ITEMS FOR DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION. ITEMS NOT ON THE AGENDA SHOULD BE BROUGHT TO THE ATTENTION OF THE MEETING CHAIR 48 HOURS PRIOR TO THE MEETING. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION IN DISCUSSIONS IS WELCOME. ONLY DIRECTORS MAY VOTE ON ISSUES BEFORE OPA.
TO FACILITATE AN EFFICIENT AND RESPECTFUL DISCUSSION, PLEASE WAIT UNTIL CALLED UPON BY THE MEETING CHAIR BEFORE SPEAKING.

NOTICED BOARD MEMBER ABSENCES:
Hubbell
Marlow (late)

3:00 to 3:30 PM SPECIAL COMMUNITY FORUM ON PROPOSED REVISIONS TO UTILITY USERS TAX
Presentation by Assistant City Manager Kate Vernez and Police Chief Tim Jackman on modernizing the City of Santa Monica’s Utility User Tax (UUT)
See attachment on OPA web site under meeting notice for more info

3:30 TO 4:00 PM SPECIAL COMMUNITY FORUM ON PUBLIC TREES AND LANDSCAPING
Presentation by Walter Warriner, City Forester, and Randy Little, Public Landscape Manager, from Santa Monica City Hall.

4:00 to 5:45 PM REGULAR MONTHLY MEETING
1. Introduction to OPA (1 minute)

2. New Items for Board Attention
· This is an opportunity for anyone to bring up issues not on the agenda that can be discussed at a future meeting.

3. Brief Announcements (One minute or less, without discussion)

4. Review and Approval of May Meeting Minutes
· See OPA web site for draft minutes

5. Review of Board and Executive Committee Decisions Taken Since Last Meeting
6. Information Items (No Discussion)
LIVABILITY of OCEAN PARK

7. Discussion of LUCE Framework and possible OPA feedback to City Council (Winterer – 30 minutes)
·     www.shapethefuture2025.net

8. Discussion of guidelines for OPA Board positions (Allard/Taylor – 15 minutes).
· See Attachment #1
· ACTION ITEM: Vote to approve guidelines

9. Livability of Ocean Park: Committee Reports
· Ocean Park Boulevard (Chair: Taylor / Members: Jarow, Auch, Winterer)
· Main Street (Chair: Jarow / Members: Taylor, Ehrlich)
· Traffic and Parking (Chair: none / Members: Hubbell, Ludwinski, Taylor)
· Disaster Preparedness (Chair: Ludwinksi / Members: Bohannon)
· General Plan (Chair: Marlow / Members: Samuel, Winterer)

OPA ADMINISTRATION

10. Discussion of obtaining liability coverage for OPA Board (Winterer 5 minutes)

11. Review of proposed revisions to bylaws re Board actions between meetings (Ludwinksi 10
minutes)
· See attachment #2
· ACTION ITEM: Vote on approval for endorsement by members at annual meeting

12. OPA Administration: Committee and Task Force Reports
· Events (Chair: Nafshun / Members: Hubbell, Bohannon, Marlow, Jarow, Lewis, Ehrlich)
· Membership (Chair: Jarow / Secretary: Bohannon)
i. Quarterly Membership Report (April, July, October and January meetings)
· Communications (Lewis)
· Community Outreach (Marlow)
· Hospitality Committee (Lawson)
· Neighborhood Council (Representative: Hopkins)
· Treasurers Report (Ehrlich)
i. Quarterly Treasurers Report (April, July, October and January meetings)
· Website (Chairs: Allard and Brand)
MEETING CLOSE
Next Meetings:
· Sunday, July 13th, 4 PM, Joslyn Park
· Sunday, August 10th, 4 PM, Joslyn Park
·
ATTACHMENT #1
DRAFT Guidelines
for taking of formal positions on issues – DRAFT
Version: Wednesday, May 21, 2008
This is a list of guidelines to be considered, and possibly codified into the bylaws more formally, that provide conditions that should be satisfied in order
for the OPA board to take a formal vote on an issue and in order for that vote to be publicly announced.
1. Prior to the meeting at which a vote will be taken, ample documentation of the issue will be made available to the public.

2. Prior to the meeting at which a vote will be taken, ample documentation of both pro and con positions will be made available to the public.

3. Prior to the meeting, due effort will be made to solicit representatives of all sides of an issue to attend the meeting and present their respective
positions.

4. After a vote on an issue, the announcement of the position taken by the board will use wording that avoids stating that OPA, per se, supports or
opposes the issue, per se. Rather, wording will be to the effect that 'The Board of Directors of OPA voted X to Y [in favor of / in opposition to] [such
and such issue].'

5. An announcement of a board vote will not be made on behalf of OPA or on behalf of the board. Rather, such announcements may be made by any
board member on their own behalf, identifying themselves as members of the OPA board [and their position on the board]. The announcement will
be worded, per item 4, as a statement of fact that a vote was taken by the board and what the result of the vote was. The individual may add their
own opinion in direct support or opposition to the issue at hand.

ATTACHMENT #2

Current bylaws:
5.19 ACTION WITHOUT MEETING. Any action required or permitted to be taken by the Board of Directors may be taken without a meeting if all
members of the Board of Directors shall individually or collectively consent in writing to such action. Such written consent or consents shall be filed with
the minutes of the proceedings of the Board of Directors. Such action by written consent shall have the same force and effect as a unanimous vote of
such Directors. Any certificate or other document which relates to action so taken shall state that the action was taken by unanimous written consent of
the Board of Directors to so act.
Proposed amendment:

5.19 ACTION WITHOUT MEETING. Any action required or permitted to be taken by the Board of Directors may be taken without a meeting if at
least twothirds
members of the Board of Directors shall individually or collectively consent in writing to such action. Such written consent or consents
shall be filed with the minutes of the proceedings of the Board of Directors.
www.opasm.

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software