Login
Monthly Meeting Minutes
Joslyn Park Auditorium
July 13, 2008

Time:    3:30 to 5:45 PM
 

BOARD MEMBERS IN ATTENDANCE:
Auch       
Ludwinski
Bohannon   
Marlow
Ehrlich       
Nafshun
Hubbell       
Taylor
Jarow       
Winterer

NOTICED BOARD MEMBER ABSENCES:
Allard
Lawson
Lewis

3:30 to 4:00 PM SPECIAL COMMUNITY FORUM ON PROPOSED REVISIONS TO UTILITY USERS TAX

Presentation by Assistant City Manager Kate Vernez on modernizing the City of Santa Monica’s Utility User Tax (UUT), Police Chief Jackman was in attendance.  The UUT raises $12 mil. for the general fund.  The presentation materials and FAQ will be posted on the city website.
(See attachment on OPA web site under meeting notice for more info)

4:00 to 5:45 PM REGULAR MONTHLY MEETING

1.    Introduction to OPA

2.    New Items for Board Attention 
•    Invite Craig Perkins from Environment and Public Works to attend meeting to discuss water and waste fee increases. Need to inform residents
•    OPA guidelines for Board decisions – continuation of discussion

3.    Brief Announcements:
•    Parade was a huge success! OPA float was great! Congratulations to all who worked to make it possible.
•    Cristyne Lawson has submitted her resignation from the OPA Board
•    LUCE meetings:  Mary M. announced the following dates for upcoming LUCE meetings and urged all to attend at least one of the meetings to provide input in support of a low scale beach community.
•     7/15 Tuesday,  7/22 Tuesday,  7/24 Thursday

4.    Review and Approval of June Meeting Minutes:
•    Motion to approve minutes with addition- list names of board members in attendance.
•    Passed unanimously.

5.    Review of Board and Executive Committee Decisions Taken Since Last Meeting: None

6.    Information Items: None

LIVABILITY of OCEAN PARK

7.     Discussion of LUCE Framework and possible OPA feedback to City Council
•    Motion: Approve sending letter to City Council from OPA re: LUCE Framework feedback
•    Passed unanimously
•    ACTION: Mary Marlow will make suggested corrections and send to City Council
•    www.shapethefuture2025.net

8.     Discussion of Treesavers request for new Santa Monica Tree Commission:  Jerry Rubin discussed the proposed Tree Commission concept. Discussion followed.
•    Motion: To support the creation of task force to examine creation of a Tree Commission
•    Passed unanimously

9.     Discussion of annual Beach Cleanup in September and need for new Beach Captain
•    Dana volunteered to be the Site Captain for 9/20/2008 cleanup day!
•    ACTION: Mary H. provided Dana with Heal the Bay and City contacts.  Mary H. will provide Dana with list of volunteers, signs, and other materials needed for the event.
•    ACTION: Dana will contact the City Volunteer Coordinator and Heal the Bay Volunteer Coordinator

10.   Discussion of guidelines for OPA Board positions:
•    Bob and Dennis drafted new guidelines.  Discussion followed. 
•    ACTION:   Bob and Dennis will make suggested changes and present for continued discussion at August meeting. No vote taken.

11.   Livability of Ocean Park: Committee Reports
•    Ocean Park Boulevard (Chair: Taylor / Members: Jarow, Auch, Winterer): Bob reported that the OPB plan will be presented for funding at the July 23 City Council meeting.
o    ACTION: OPB committee will meet with Peter on Tuesday, 7/15 at 10:30AM @ Peet’s Coffee on Main to discuss changes in plan.  Dave shared concern that he will not be able to make a daytime meeting.
o    ACTION: Bob will forward any updates to the OPA board
•    Main Street (Chair: Jarowl / Members: Taylor, Ehrlich): None
•    Traffic and Parking (Chair: none / Members: Hubbell, Ludwinski, Taylor): None
•    Disaster Preparedness (Chair: Ludwinski / Members: Bohannon): None
•    General Plan (Chair: Marlow / Members: Samuel, Winterer): None – see LUCE information above

OPA ADMINISTRATION

12.      Discussion of OPA Annual Meeting in fall –
•    Lori suggested a candidate forum. Discussion to continue.
•    ACTION: Pauline will chair committee and Mary M. will help her form Nominating Committee, choose date, etc.
•    ACTION: Jan will send out email to call for nominations.

13.     Discussion of obtaining liability coverage for OPA Board: tabled

14.    Review of proposed revisions to bylaws re Board actions between meetings (Ludwinski - 10 minutes)
•    See attachment #2
•    ACTION: Vote on revisions

15.    OPA Administration: Committee and Task Force Reports
•    Events (Chair: Nafshun / Members: Hubbell, Bohannon, Marlow, Jarow, Lewis, Ehrlich):
•    ACTION: Parade feedback meeting to be scheduled.
•    Membership (Chair: Jarow / Secretary: Bohannon):
•    ACTION:  Committee will present membership report at next meeting
                      i. Quarterly Membership Report (April, July, October and January meetings)
•    Communications (Lewis): None
•    Community Outreach (Marlow): None
•    Hospitality Committee (Vacant): None
•    Neighborhood Council (Representative: Hopkins): None
•    Treasurers Report (Ehrlich): Presented via email for board review
i.    Quarterly Treasurers Report (April, July, October and January meetings)
•    Website (Chairs: Allard and Brand): None

MEETING CLOSE
    Motion to extend meeting to 6:00PM, passed unanimously
Next Meetings:
•    Sunday, August 10th, 4 PM, Joslyn Park
•    Sunday, September 14th, 4 PM, Joslyn Park

ATTACHMENT #1

Available at meeting

ATTACHMENT #2

Available at meeting


 
Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software